Do you set goals or intentions?
Goals / Intentions – do you set them? What sort of goals or intentions do you set? Do you have clarity on what success you want to bring into your life?
Did you know that there were different types of goals and what the differences are?
Well read on and let me enlighten you!!
I generally talk about 3 different types of goals.
- ones we know we can do,
- ones we think we can do, and
- ones that we have no idea how we’re going to do, but deeply desire the outcomes and success that they bring.
Most people focus on the first 2 types of goals and there are a number of reasons for that.
- They like to think of themselves as grounded in reality; or
- They tell themselves things like “daydreaming won’t get you anywhere”; or
- Maybe they’ve never experienced a dream or type 3 goal above, coming true.
It really comes down to the person’s beliefs and how self confident they are in themselves and how the world works. Beliefs (and the ego for that matter) work to keep the person ‘safe’. You could even liken it to a ‘life’ thermostat. Beliefs are designed to keep you in a certain range that your mind considers ‘safe’. Outside that range, the mind doesn’t know what will happen and there’s some fear there.
But what if?
- What if you allowed yourself to dream like a 5 year old? 5 year olds don’t understand the concept of impossible and to them, everything is possible.
- What if you let go of the fears, the little voice in your head telling you that you can’t?
Here is an exercise for you to help you see your big picture… to set a type 3 goal – what you desire for yourself and your life…
- Sit down in a place where you’ll have no distractions.
- Take 3 deep, slow breaths. You might want to put on some music that helps you to think.
- Begin to write down your desires in life… The things that you want to do. The things that you want to be. The things that you want to have. Experiences, feelings… anything and everything. What does a successful life look like to you?
- If your mind starts arguing with you and raising that you don’t have the money or you don’t have the education or whatever, have the confidence to tell yourself that you are day-dreaming right now, you’ll worry about all that later.
- If you continue to find it difficult, put yourself in the place of the self confident 5 year old above or even think of yourself at the end of your working career and you’re at your retirement party. Someone asks you if you have anything that you wished you’d done up to now. What is your answer? Write it all down.
- Now begin to prioritise the items that you’ve listed – most important to you to least important.
- Once prioritised, put rough timeframes on when you would like to see the desires / goals be achieved.
- And now the big one… how do you see your most successful, perfect life or even a day in your successful, perfect life? Think about this in detail and assume that you are uber successful and achieving your desires – what does your life look like?
- Now if nothing was standing in your way, is this really the life you would like to be living?
There are various methods for really embedding desires and goals into your subconscious mind and that is where a coach or mentor comes in. Sure you can do this yourself – of course you can. Having a coach or a mentor though will fast-track you through to greater clarity, self confidence in your dreams and success…
If you do the work.